Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hygiene and Vanity

I was on my way to my appointments this morning and was sitting inside the train while reading a book with the seats on both my sides still empty. Suddenly, here came a boy ( a teenager if I'm not mistaken) who occupied the seat on my right. I couldn't concentrate with what I was reading due to the foul smell coming from this lad who I guess did not bother to do a little wash up after waking up in the morning. Until I could no longer  bear the smell anymore, so I half-covered my nose, which already started to get clogged, without hesitation . But the agony did not end there. The boy's phone rang and so he picked it up. Guess what?! When he talked, his bad breath reached my too sensitive little nose. You just can't imagine how I felt the whole time he was sitting beside me. There I was, all too fresh from a 30minute morning shower with a good scent on trying to stand the offensive smell that the owner was so unaware or unmindful of. It made me asked myself whether the young fellow knew that he smelled so bad. 

It's not that I'm bragging but when it comes to personal hygiene, I am so meticulous and sensitive. And I think I have even gone far to being so vain. In fact, this morning's appointments were to get my braces' wire changed and to have my underarm hair removal treatment, which the latter by the way reminds me of how, in many occasions, I saw some women at the train not shaving their underarm hair. Just how gross can people get!

My family and friends know that I do not really need the braces as my teeth are not really that badly formed. Nevertheless, I am spending for the benefit of either hygiene or vanity. Or maybe both. I don't see any harm in being a little vain anyway as long as one knows the limitations. A person can buy expensive clothes, bags, accesories, make ups, etc. for vanity's sake. But I hope they would give more attention on their personal hygiene , else it would be unforgivable. It somehow leaves me wondrin' what makes it difficult for some to take a shower in the morning, shave unwanted hair, brush teeth, and put on a little cologne before starting a day. These should actually be a regular habit. Are these things cultural or self-imposed? But seriously, there's a lot of them (unhygienic) around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment